Saturday, May 28, 2011

Southern Charm

Twenty four years ago, my parents graciously agreed to indulge my wish to visit several colleges so as to see where I wanted to spend my undergraduate years. Upon arriving in Columbia, SC to tour the University of South Carolina, I was greeted by Palmetto Palm trees lining the streets of Columbia as well as the campus. I was immediately smitten and declared "this is it!" This was all it took to convince me....
Several weeks ago, I had the opportunity to join three of my college roomies for a weekend of fun, reminiscing, and relaxation. We spent four days on Kiawah Island, South Carolina enjoying the weather and the company. It was the first time in 17 years we had all been together. I was a bit apprehensive at the idea of being reunited after such a long time, but figured the sun and sand would bridge any gap. Oddly enough, within minutes of reuniting, the familiarity, mannerisms, and roles resumed.

Heading out celebratory dinner at the Sanctuary Hotel on Kiawah Island.



Much different than our $3 pitcher days at Carolina!





Most of our time spent was lounging on the beach witnessing this view.


The high point of the weekend for me was walking around in Charleston. This is truly one of my most favorite cities. The history, architecture, and southern charm have such an appeal. I have such fond memories of this town and those precious years living in South Carolina. I managed to capture a few of my favorite things.


Rainbow Row



Cooper River Bridge



The essence of Charleston



Battery Park...LOVE this LAMPOST!

0 comments: