Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Beach???

We were in search of a "family fun" activity. Hubby was not up for miniature golf, I was not keen on fishing, so, the munchkins said "let's go to the beach." For the Moloko siblings, beaches have been a constant locale for six years. Living in Northern VA does not provide such a luxury. Just before saying "NO" and explaining the closest beach is VA beach, a mere three hour drive, we figured we would check out Aquia Landing Beach. I had read about the "beach" in a series of county magazines and thought it would be worth the 20 minute drive east to the shoreline.

Upon arriving, I think the kids were a bit puzzled...not the white sand and clear blue water they are accustomed. However, after quickly surveying the area, they were game for the adventure. Sand and water were present. The two ingredients they were hoping to find.

I have never been a strong proponent of the East Coast beaches as I have been spoiled by the Pacific Ocean and East China Sea. I tried not to let my feeling and thought effects the kids perceptions. They had a wonderful afternoon playing despite the murky water and brown sand. As we were driving away, they stated they enjoyed the trip but that they miss the beaches of Okinawa! Can't say I blame them!


Sizing up the shoreline - first time seeing East Coast
Smiley Little Dudes
East Coast Shoreline -7 yrs after her first visit
Happy Diggers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute! Funny thing though, that's what I grew up with. Lucky kids didn't get to experience "green heads" and skirting crabs in Barnegat Bay, NJ! LBI was a luxury. ;)

Erin said...

I can't say that I blame you guys either! I have been wondering how we are going fare after we leave our island home!! I am glad that they got to play with the essentials though...sun, sand, & surf!! Miss you! Big Hugs~