Sunday, January 9, 2011

Do We Have To?

"Why can't the boys be shepherds and the girls be angels?" asked the Little Dudes.

I too, had wondered about the assignment of costumes for the Epiphany Concert the kids were having at school. The principal decided that students in Grades K-2 would be angels and students in grades 3-5 would be shepherds. Specific costumes guidelines came home prior to the Christmas break. Angels were to have halos, wings, and white shirts "glittered up." This was not appealing to me, as I had to scour through Target and Michaels to come up the required materials. The Moloko Dudes were livid at the thought of being shiny and glittery. Big Sister took wearing shepherd garb in stride and enjoyed taunting her brothers at their misfortune.

I spent the better part of the holidays explaining to the Little Dudes that sometimes in life we just have to do things whether we like it or not. Definitely a teachable moment. I could tell they were coming to terms with the inevitable when Little Dude M asked "Can angels wear Old Spice?" Little Dude B then asked if he could cover his light saber in foil and walk on stage as St. Michael the Archangel? Sadly, no additional props for angels were permitted.

As I was stitching the garland to the shirt and foiling the wings, I had a vision, but just could pin down what I was seeing. The Little Dudes returned from a Scout meeting and were not happy with the see of silver and sheen. Hubby summed it up when he walked into the kitchen and said "Holy Liberace!"


An agreement was struck, they would wear the costumes but I was not permitted to bring a camera to the Concert. I could take a photo of the ensemble, but they would not be captured on film wearing such creations.


and for the grand finale...

Liberace Angel

0 comments: