Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

Like my sign? Wish I could say it was my idea, but, Big Sister proudly created this Saturday morning as I was out taking a run. When I returned, it was hanging on the front door. I inquired as to what inspired her to make the sign and she responded with "Why don't we have a yard sign? Obama/Biden signs are everywhere!"

Over the past few weeks, Big Sister has been inquiring about the election and the candidates. She is fascinated by the media coverage and the pictures of the US map covered in a sea of red and blue. Yesterday after school, she was extremely inquisitive as to how you choose a President? I carefully explained that I try to select the candidate whose beliefs are more closely aligned with mine and the candidate who I feel will best serve my country as a leader. Her questions were well thought out and I was impressed. It was only after she told me that she would be participating in a "mock" election today that I understood her quieries. Her teacher had instructed the class to go home and learn about the candidates. This immediately took me back to the Presidential Election of 1976, when I too, was in 1st Grade at a Catholic school. I remember clear as day voting for Gerald Ford and was so dissapointed to find out that he was not chosen.

Big Sister assured me that she "heard" that McCain was going to be the *winner* and that Obama was going to make every United States Marine quit his job (not so cool to a kid whose Dad is a Marine). These two wild rumors were passed on by a classmate. I explained that according to all the predictions is does not look so favorable for John McCain. Her response was "Shame on John McCain if he does not win." I asked her why? and she retorted with "I had to make my own sign!" Campaign finance reform is not such a good idea to a 6 year old either! As for Obama making every US Marine quit his job, my best guess is that is has something to do with his pull out plan for Iraq.

After months, of biased media coverage and mudslinging, I find myself hoping and praying for a miracle. With Virginia being one of the battleground states, I was more than prepared to brave a long line this morning. With my book in hand, and a neighbor watching the Little Dudes, I headed to the polls. Fortunately, my timing was impecable as it only took a mere 15 minutes from the time I exited my car and returned to my car. I quickly headed home so I could return the favor for my neighbor who too need to vote. I was assured by the election officials, that it had been mobbed at the opening and they expected it to become increasingly worse after lunch.

Needless to say, I will be glued to the returns all evening. There is no doubt today's election is one of historical proportions! I pray for our Country and our President!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great sign...too bad it did not turn out that way :-( Carly was mad that McCain did not win.

Anonymous said...

Yo Fro...it's "Impeccable"...numbnuts!