Thursday, June 12, 2008

Class of 2008!

Last Saturday was Big Sister's Day! Yes, it is official, she is now a 2008 kindergarten graduate from Okinawa Montessori School (OMS). This was quite a production which had kids, teachers and especially this parent burning the midnight oil. Big Sister was one of four young ladies graduating and somehow from the volunteering to "help" with set decorations back in September, my job by early May was elevated to stage decorations and program chairperson. WHAT???


My biggest stressor, was trying to make the Director, Ms. Aida, happy. Trying to create a background that matched her vision was not an easy task. Big Sister added some stress when she informed me that "Ms. Aida is very particular...you should be worried." This my first OMS play, and from the veteran parents I had heard of the elaborate set designs of years past. Needless to say, I was in a panic especially with the original theme of "I Can Do it Myself" (take it from me, not a theme you want to Google). Fortunately, with some parental encouragement, Ms. Aida changed the theme to "School Time." With an Oriental Trading Catalog, a pseudo craft store on island, and some moving boxes, the set decorations were created. I am not the most artistic, but, I can wield a paintbrush.

My attempt at set design seemed to be to the Ms. Aida's liking. Post production comments have been encouraging and complimentary. I however will be wary in the future of offering assistance when it comes to set decorations.

The program itself was quite a show. The children ranging in age from 2-6 performed 4 elaborate choreographed routines and two songs. I am so impressed that the staff of two teachers and one director took on this daunting task. The kids were adorable and all seemed to be enjoying the show. The highlight for Big Sister was walking through the arch of flowers and then walking on stage to receive her "diploma." She was rather disturbed that it was laminated rather than rolled with a red ribbon securely tied...she is such a traditionalist. The featured video presentation of the OMS kids participating in various activities throughout the year was a nice touch to an already memorable event.

Upon hearing her name being called

Singing the Finale..."One Voice"

Our Graduate

We are so proud of Big Sister and what she has accomplished thus far scholastically. I hope her love for school and quest for knowledge is never squelched. I am not so sure I will be able to keep up, but, it has been so fun watching her blossom!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Madeline, Congrats on your graduation! Mommy is the best!!!!