Saturday, February 28, 2009

Mardi Gras School Style

As I picked Big Sister up from school on Tuesday, she was adorned with numerous strands of beads on top of her Catholic School uniform. She could hardly contain her excitement as she entered the car. "Mom, guess how I earned my beads?" I was certain the criteria were different than that of those frequenting Bourbon Street, but, I do have to admit it stopped me in my tracks. She quickly pointed out which strand was awarded for completing her class work, turning in homework, following directions and behaving. Once we returned home, she quickly changed into festive Mardi Gras colors, along with her doll Chrissa, to show her spirit.

According to Big Sister, the highlight of the day was experiencing the Louisiana Style King Cake her classmate brought to share. I quickly had to look up "Kings Cake" and discovered that it was a cinnamon-roll like cake inside with sugary icing decorated with traditional Mardi Gras colored sprinkles on the outside. A plastic baby usually is hidden inside the cake and if you are the lucky individual to get the slice with the baby, you are responsible to purchase the cake the following year. I was assured by Big Sister that it was very tasty and a "cool" tradition for celebrating Mardi Gras.


0 comments: