Monday, September 27, 2010

Pie Contestant

Apple Pie in September? Not typical around the Moloko household, especially from scratch. That recipe is usually saved for Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Big Sister batted those grey-blue eyes and asked if she could enter the "Homemade Pie Contest" at our recent Church Festival. My first instinct was deny her the opportunity, mostly because I would not consider my pie making skills as "contest worthy." So rather than transfer my insecurities, I relented and the pie making began.

She decided on an Crumbly Apple Pie. This meant only needing one crust...aces! From peeling the apples, to slicing the apples, rolling out the crust, and mixing the spicery, Big Sister was involved. She managed to keep her smile all throughout the afternoon and I let her enjoy the Saturday afternoon baking experience.

Sunday afternoon, we took her creation to the Pie Booth and waited for the judging. Big Sister did a fantastic job tempting the judges and receiving rave reviews. She managed to win the 15 and under age division for "Best Pie." The only category she did not receive the highest marks was under the "crust" criteria. She managed to get a slice of her pie before it was cut and sold at the dessert booth. She was rather tickled at her accomplishment and I was glad I did not hinder her desire.

Slicing those apples...thinly

Working on that perfect crust
Finished creationCrumbly Apple Pie

Pie Booth
Mmm...so tasty!

1 comments:

Teresa said...

Oh my goodness, that looks DELICIOUS!!!! Great work, Big Sister! Where's my slice?