Saturday, April 12, 2008

Crushed Dream

For the past month and a half, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I have been waking up at 0500 to partake in some rather unusual fitness training...rowing. I have bee rowing with the Navy Women's Dragon Boat Team which is comprised of both Active Duty service members and spouses of those serving in the Navy and Marine Corps. Dragon Boat Races are HUGE in Okinawa and teams from all over the island will be competing on May 5th. The Navy Women's team won back the title last year, after beating the Army Women's team three years in a row, so, the stakes are high for a repeat this year.

I was truly excited about training this year as a big gaggle of the neighborhood ladies decided to participate. After the first practice I was hooked, and evidently, so were the other 43 women who turned out in the wee hours of the morning. This was not an immediate cause of concern as in the past they would have big turnouts and within a week or two the numbers would die down.

Twas not the case! Within the first two weeks of practice, the roster grew to over 53 women vying for the 30 spots. The coach finally decided to freeze the roster list of names during the third week. Immediately, all participants were on pins and needles and you could feel the tension in the air and you could just cut the crisp morning air with a knife. We were quickly assured that attendance along with ability would be put into play when having to make cuts. With our upcoming trip to Thailand, I became increasingly concerned as I was going to miss four practices. I was assured not to worry and enjoy my vacation as other people had vacations scheduled, and business trips planned in the following weeks. At one point, prior to our vacation, I hired our high school neighbor (at 5 AM mind you) to watch the munchkins as Hubby was on the pistol range.

Last Wednesday night, the email came out with the list of names. Sadly, I was not one of the chosen "30" but I was named as one of the 11 alternates. I will say, all the other ladies in the neighborhood were as baffled as I,but, I think it was my absences (at least that is what I want to believe) that was my downfall. That is my story and I am sticking to it! I was told I was absent during a truly crucial week! Oh well, Thailand was amazing.

I have swallowed my injured pride, and attended a couple of practices. Oddly enough, I have been the only alternate present. The coach keeps encouraging me to continue to come as in the past they have had to pull alternates into the boat on race day. On Saturday, the team is actually heading down to Naha for a practice run in the boat. We have been training on a pier, so, this is going to be a HUGE change. Although it will not be the "BIG RACE DAY", I WILL get my chance to sit in the 2-ton Dragon Boat...this should fulfill my dream.

Team picture...I am in the blue shirt in the front row.

1 comments:

Erin said...

You know what Katester? I am so proud of you for taking the high road and stepping up and going to the practices still. You are awesome! A true team player. It would have been cool to make the team I am sure, but your trip to Thailand is WAAAAHHHAAAAYYYYY cooler. So keep on keepin' on girl. You never know what could happen. I bet I see you on that boat come race day. And you know what? We love you even if your NOT rowing a big ass boat!! Hugs and more...