Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Feet Above the Rest

I have been marveling all week at Big Sister's feet. Yes, feet! Those precious feet kicked, prodded, and tickled me for months on end in utero. I fell in love with those little tootsies as they were one of the many inherited traits I could identify within moments of her being placed in my arms. Without a doubt, those ten pink toes and "long" foot bed where those of Hubby's.


Born in the Midwest in late January, footed onsies were the clothing item of choice. More often than not, her feet were the reason we had to move onto the next sizes of baby clothing so as not to curl her feet into her ankles. In her short six years, she has gone through multitudes of shoes, some only being worn a handful of times.

Just the other day, I picked her up from school and true to Japanese custom, shoes are placed in a cubby in the foyer of the school upon entrance and put back on upon departure. I watched her retrieve her shoes as she and a fellow classmate (whom she towers above) were chatting. I looked down and found myself having to quickly close my open jaw as Big Sister's shoes were 5 sizes larger. I knew she had "long" feet, but, I just was not expecting such a remarkable difference. Fortunately for her, she is equally as long limbed and lean which balance out her "long" narrow feet.

As we were out shopping the other day, she insisted on heading to the shoe department. We always look...never know what you might find on the clearance aisle. After our week in Thailand, I could see a new pair of tennis shoes were in order. Next thing I know, she is trying on shoes 1-2 sizes larger than her current pair. I started to think back to my youth and I actually remember wearing her current shoe size at the age of 9!

Today, we had a discussion on her feet, which I must say are truly lovely (as far as feet go). I made the mistake of calling them "BIG." Only after matching our feet up heel to heel and managing to shove my wide foot into her Crocs with just a bit of my heel showing, she agreed her feet were "LONG."


Just had to add this photo for comparison...Big Sister's and Mine!

1 comments:

Erin said...

Sigh...Madeline Rose!!! No wonder your mean Mommy and Daddy call you Spladeline!! It isn't your fault baby..it is those honkin' feet! ROFL!! Those feet combined with all those limbs is a surefire recipe for splat-in-ness!! Ms. Erin Loves you so much though!!!