Wednesday, January 7, 2009

No Glasses for You!

At least this time. ..
In late October, a flyer arrived home from school offering a Hearing & Eye screening to all new students. We had Big Sister's hearing and vision tested during her annual school physical, but, I figured why not? So, the testing day came and went and when I asked Big Sister she said, "I missed two letters." I thought nothing of it until, two weeks later, a test form comes back from the school nurse indicating we ought to have her vision tested. It took three weeks for the referral to come through and with the closest Optometrist accepting our insurance was 20 miles from home. Aggh!

I scheduled the appointment and last Saturday, we headed down for an extensive eye exam. I personally have never had such an exam and was fascinated by all the machines, tools, and gadgets. Big Sister was having fun identifying colors, letters, and numbers. She enjoyed the experience as did I. Having her eyes dilated was a hoot...I swear, it was as if chugged a RedBull. The Optometrists office was adjacent to the Mall, so we walked through a few stores waiting for the dilation drops to take effect. She could not focus and was cracking me up as she zipped all around Wacky Bear and Gymboree. Fortunately, we had to head back to the Dr.'s office for the rest of the exam, I was exhausted.

At present, Big Sister's eyes are just fine. According to the results, she is a bit far-sighted in her right eye, but, nothing requiring a prescription at this point. However, the Dr. predicted by her early teens, she will probably need glasses. Big Sister quickly picked up on this and responded with "Hey Mom, you said by the time I was a teenager, you would consider contacts!" This was when I thought she needed glasses at the age of six and mentioned that by the time she was teenager she would be responsible enough to handle contacts. I think she was a bit disappointed that glasses were not in her immediate future as she had picked out a Rose Quartz pair a couple of weeks ago that were flattering. However, the temporary sunglasses provided by the Optometrist was enough to make her smile!



0 comments: