Saturday, March 15, 2008

Life Lessons

As I was out running today, and enjoying the Okinawa sunshine and scenery, I was pondering the last 21 months of living on this island. I must admit, I was not eager to move to Okinawa, however, it has turned out to be a fabulous experience. With just a few months left in my Japanese haven, I am actually dreading our summer departure.

I have determined that living overseas, has made me a more excepting person. I came to Japan feeling out of my comfort zone. Upon my arrival, I found myself living out in town (base housing was unavailable), enrolling Big Sister in a montessori school with a 60% Japanese/40% American student ratio, and driving on the left hand-side of the road. Within weeks, I was completely immersed into my "new" foreign home and actually having to remind myself that I was living in Japan despite the multitude of Kanji signs.

My preconceptions were pointless. Okinawa is beautiful (even more so than Oahu), the people extremely warm and generous, and the Japanese culture and customs special. I have truly learned to look beyond the exterior appearances of people, places, and things.

0 comments: