Monday, July 26, 2010

Zerxes

Zerxes. This is the name Hubby gave the frog I found lounging under the lawn mower. Poor guy was trying to avoid the sweltering temps plaguing Northern Virginia. I quickly gathered the munchkins and Big Sister decided that Hubby was the guy to catch Zerxes and put him in our handy dandy plastic reptile habitat.

Zerxes was none to pleased to be contained, but, I figured we would let him go a couple of hours later. Big Sister and I gathered some grass, dirt, and filled the habitat with water. I placed him on our deck and partially shaded his new home with a tarp. I came back inside and busied myself with chores. After lunch, I had Big Sister go outside and check on Zerxes, he was motionless, not the active guy we placed inside just hours earlier. It seems, I had inadvertently "fried" our four legged friend.

Yep, I am now a frog murderer. I felt wretched, I really LIKE frogs, as a matter of fact, they adorn my checks. I was extremely proud when the munchkins came and asked if we could "dissect" Zerxes. I hesitated and quickly looked to Hubby, his lack of a negative response had the kids so excited. Hubby gathered the appropriate tools, I googled "frog dissection," and we had three eager students.

Teaching Little Dude B the art of dissection
Definitely a unique smell!

Little Dude B was all about retrieving the heart and labeling! The miscellaneous pieces about the plate were the contents found in Zerxes stomach. Seems he liked crickets, grasshoppers, and flies.

Gotta love teachable moments!

0 comments: