Friday, May 2, 2008

A Decade Later

According to Webster's, a decade is a period of ten years. How vague and simplistic! Therefore, I have decide to give my own spin on the word DECADE.
As a child, that word had the connotation of being forever and an unfathomable period of time. Somehow and somewhere along the way, this concept was taken from me and what seems like "just yesterday" IE., high school graduation, college experiences, and college graduation are 15 to 20 years ago.

How vividly I remember May 2, 1998! It was slightly overcast as I headed out on my last run as a single woman. Just a couple of hours later, I was committing myself to another person and embarking upon the next stage in my life. I was blissfully happy, confident, and ready for the challenge.

Here we are ten years later! I have spent the day pondering the last decade and all that we have experienced. The words of Fr. Rocheford, the priest who married us, keep running through my head. Marriage is a marathon..sometimes flat and copacetic and sometimes a battle uphill while trying to recover on the down slope. I definitely think that we have reached a notable mile marker.

Let me try to summarize the last decade.

Seven Moves:
Hubby and I have lived in four states to include California, Virginia, Indiana, and Hawaii while having six different addresses and a three year residence in Japan.

Ten Anniversaries:
Hubby and I have been able to celebrate six out of ten together. Four were spent apart as he either on a business trip or deployed out of the country.

Three Kids:
A singleton arriving in January 2002. A set of twins joining us in May 2004. Wow! What a threesome they are too!

Traveling Adventures:
Three cross country road trips hitting 26 states together. Adventures in six countries while briefly changing planes in three others. Which continent next?

All in all, it has been a blessed decade full of excitement and adventure. Although we have had, a few disappointments and headaches along the way, our motto has been the same: WE HAVE LAUGHTER!

Ready, Set, Go! The marathon has begu
n!

A decade later...
.

Happy 10th Anniversary Hubby!

4 comments:

Erin said...

Happy Anniversary Jon and Katie!! You guys are so sweet, and I am glad I got to have met you both during your 10 years together! Have a wonderful blessed 10 more! Hugs~

lissa said...

Happy Anniversary! We just celebrated our 7th. We miss you guys. L&R

Andrea said...

Happy Anniversary to you guys!!! Wow, 10 years?! Amazing what 10 years brings us through. It's been an adventure. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary John & Kate! Time flies when you are having fun!!!!