Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day 2008

Mother's Day 2008 was marked with Grandma & Grandpa's departure back to the United States. After a VERY short 8 days, the munchkins and I headed down to join Uncle Cookie Monster, cousin D, and Aunt M in giving them a warm send off. I had some sad grandkids with fat lips pouting on the way home, but, the reaction was much more manageable then I was expecting. I think knowing they will be seeing Grandma & Grandpa again in 6 weeks was definitely helpful in keeping the tears at bay.

Mothers Day 2008 - Me with my Munchkins

After leaving the airport, the munchkins and I headed back to Kadena to check out the Red Cross Fair. The local High Schools have several events sponsored throughout the year which various vendors come and display their wares. I had yet to attend one since our arrival in August 2005 and I figured it was worth a gander.

If I had been in the market for antique Asian furniture, I would have been able to spend a small fortune. Our big purchase of the day was an Obi Cord for Big Sister's dress up box. The highlight of the fair was the Ryukyuan glass ping pong game. (Ryukyuan glass is hand blown glass from Okinawa and comes in a myriad of jewel tone colors). The Ping Pong game entailed paying $3 for 5 attempts of bouncing a ping pong ball into the pit of glass items. If the ball landed in a glass item it was then yours. The munchkins and I initially played two rounds and ended up with three glasses and a bouquet of glass flowers. We were quickly addicted and headed back for another two rounds. Big Sister was the big winner of the afternoon with three drinking glasses and a dish. When it was all said and done, we came home with 8 items. The top cabinet of my curio cabinet is know overflowing.

Moloko Munchkins w/Glass Collection

1 comments:

Erin said...

I am glad you won so many gifts on Momma's Day!! You deserve it! The kids are so gorgeous! Give them a smooch from me!