Friday, May 9, 2008

Spectator to Rower

This will definitely be the most memorable Cinco De Mayo to date. It was finally race day...the DRAGONBOAT race! I blogged in mid-April about my disappointment of not making the Navy Women's Dragonboat team. However, I swallowed my pride and bruised ego and continued to attend the practices and fill in where needed. I truly enjoyed the camaraderie of being part of a team and by many I was treated no differently as an alternate.

Picture this, a typical Okinawan rainy day. Overcast, drizzle, shower, drizzle, no rain, only to have the cycle repeat itself. I decided to drive down to watch the race as opposed to riding the team bus which was leaving much earlier than I deemed necessary. The team was to congregate at noon, so, my goal was to leave home no later than 10:30am as I was not certain to how the parking situation would pan out.

Just as I was debating on whether to drag my parents and the munchkins out in the rain, I received a phone call. I was assuming it was Hubby as he departed earlier that morning for a flight back to the States. It was just this voice on the other line demanding "Where are you?" "Are you coming?" I quickly deduced it was someone from the team, but, I made Mary Ann identify herself immediately upon hearing "Katie, you are rowing. Get your but down here!"

I will say, this brought such a sense of relief and I had a couple tears of joy trickle down my cheeks. It was such a high to hear the news and Big Sister's reaction was PRICELESS! She came running around the corner jumped into my arms as she declared out loud "We made the team!" That was definitely the best reaction I have ever experienced. To see the excitement and pride in her eyes was such a touching moment. An image I will never forget.

The grandparents, munchkins, and I quickly headed to the car in the drizzle down to the port. As we arrived, we found a parking space without any trouble and the rain stopped. We then headed out to find the team tent. I will say upon seeing some of my teammates, having them as excited as I upon making onto the boat was extremely touching. When it was time to line up and race, I had to admit, the butterflies started to churn. The title was on the line and I could just tell that I would have to give it my all to prove to myself and the team I was worthy of that spot on the boat!

The Women's Navy Dragonboat Team was Victorious! With a time of 5 minutes and 42 seconds, we beat our main competitors, the Women's Army team. I felt honored to be apart of this 500+ year tradition!


Oars Ready!

I am on the left side of the boat. The coach standing in middle wearing yellow is next to me.



Digging deep upon our return to the finish line.


The Coveted Trophy!

Nirai Kanai Women's Dragonboat Team 2008

2 comments:

Unknown said...

congrats Kate! How exciting for you and the team!!! Amy

Erin said...

Well I for one always knew in my heart that you were rowing, and to hear the great news, oh what a special moment! I knew how important it was to you, and I think everyone did. So, it was meant to be! And, yes Ms. Katie, YOU MADE THE TEAM!!!!! Hugs~